Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chinese Masked Dancer


Watching Jane stitching the Japanese mask has reminded me of a Chinese Masked Dancer.  At a conference in Beijing in 2008 a gala dinner was held in the Great Hall of the People at Tiananmen Square.  It was an amazing experiance and to this day I stiil don't know what we were served for dinner!  One of the performances was a Chinese Masked Dancer. He wore a number of masks and during the routine took them off. The masks were of fabric and could have also been embroidered.













If you look carefully you can see the different masks in this photo.





The masks were most impressive. We always assume masks to be made from a hard substance but these fabric ones are very effective.


Another mask.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You are lucky to have been able to visit Beijing, Odette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very fortunate that I get to go to international conferences with my work. I went to Beijing just before the Olympics and although we did not get to the stadia one could see that they were ready to host the visitors. The new airport was out of this world. I have been to China a couple of times and find it a fasinating country and culture.

    ReplyDelete